What an exciting time for everyone. As much as we hate to admit it, I believe parents are more excited about the beginning of a new school year than the children. Didn't even think about that when my own were school age, I guess I was too excited. Anyhoo, I was looking around for a few back to school tips to share with you, so I will sharing some of my favorites here.
1. Set Bedtimes - The back to school sleep schedule should have been initiated 1-2 weeks prior to the start of school. Stick with the schedule, studies show that children who get the proper amount of sleep are more successful in learning and behavior vs those who are sleep deprived.
2. Calendar - Request a copy of your child's school calendar and review it with them regularly. Noting special school events, no school and perhaps themed days. Your child will be informed of the school happenings, what a great way to learn to be part of a community. In addition, older children should have a planner/calendar. Let them choose one they will love, if they pick it out they will be more likely to use it. A family calendar is also suggested, to keep track of everyone's activities/commitments.
3. APPS - Being the tech savvy person I am :), I thought this tip to be one of my favorite, the apps. there are a few great apps for helping your child keep their assignments organized like MyHomeWork, iHomework, both free.
4. TV Viewing - Be sure to stick to the rules about watching TV and only make exceptions when absolutely necessary. Children will gain a better understanding about rules when parents are consistent in their enforcement. TV should only be an option after homework is completed, and should consist of some educational content, especially for those in grade school.
5. Stay in contact with Teacher and attend Parent Teacher Conferences - Be sure the teacher knows important things about your child, health, likes, dislikes, things your child does well, things your child needs to work on, anything unusual happening at home etc. It is important that the teacher gains an understanding of who your child is and you are the expert at that. During subsequent meetings, you want to follow up with your child's progress particularly in areas where a need has been identified and ask questions.
Well that's it for today folks. Hope you are off to a great school year. These were some of my favorites, please share some of your favorite back to school tips, apps, suggestions so we all benefit. Until next time.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.